Skilled independent visa 189 is a skill and point-based visa granted to people willing to live and work permanently in Australia. This visa can be applied while staying in or out of Australia. Once received, the person can sponsor their family members for permanent residence. A skilled independent visa lets you work anywhere in Australia and apply for Australian citizenship if eligible.
What does subclass 189 visa has to offer?
The visa is offered for two different streams, namely the Points-Tested Stream and the New Zealand Stream. These streams allow invited candidates to work and study anywhere in Australia. With this visa, you can enrol for Australia’s public health care scheme. You are also offered a travel component, wherein you can travel in and out of Australia for five years after the visa is granted.
Eligibility criteria for obtaining the Subclass 189 Visa
The eligibility criteria of the visa may vary based on the stream of application.
- Points-tested streamTo be eligible for this stream, the applicant must
- be under 45 years of age
- have a relevant occupation as per the Skilled Occupation List
- have a skills assessment for the occupation
- be invited to apply
- score a minimum of 65 points
- Have a competent level of English
- Meet health and character requirements
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- New Zealand streamTo be eligible for the New Zealand stream of Skilled Independent Visa 189, the applicant must have a New Zealand Special Category visa. They should have been staying in Australia for a minimum of five years and must have started living here on or before 19 February 2016.
How to apply for 189 visa?
Here’s what you need to know to apply for a subclass 189 visa.
- Check if the occupation is present in the skilled occupation list issued by the government.
- Get your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority
- If you are applying for the points-tested stream, score above 65 points to be eligible for the invitation.
- Submit an Expression of Interest in SkillSelect. This is done to obtain an invitation from the government.
- Once the invitation is received, the visa can be lodged.
- The visa gets approved after the official process, and you are free to migrate to Australia.
What if you want to apply for a more extended stay?
You do not need to apply for an extended stay as this is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely with a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of the visa granted.