The USA is home to some of the topmost international universities. Studying here can empower students with academic prowess, making them distinguished from their peers with similar backgrounds. 

The top universities provide highly accredited professors, advanced technology and research facilities. International students planning to study in the USA can look forward to the American campus lifestyle. They are much like small student towns mixed with socialising and learning new skills under the same roof. Whichever part of America you choose for higher studies, you’ll generally find the company of Americans to be positively curious, friendly and humorous.

If you wish to get started with the USA student visa process, Expert Education can assist you with your academic goals and requirements. Connect with our friendly team to help you grow and learn in a better study environment.

Universities and courses available

American culture has influenced the world with its trendy style of fashion, music and movies. Most students have grown fond of its vibrant and active lifestyle, making it the most sought after study destination. It’s not just about burying yourself in books but appreciating life outside the classroom as well, and that’s what you’ll get while pursuing academic goals in the US.

However, several processes are involved during college application, making it look overwhelmingly tiresome for international students. That’s why Expert Education is here to guide and help you prepare the documentations and applications required to study in the US. 

Some of the universities and courses you can look forward to, for studying in the US:


  1. National University
  2. International University
  3. Northwood University
  4. Strayer University
  5. University of Southern California
  6. Pursue University
  7. New York University
  8. Michigan State University
  9. Boston University
  10. Ohio State University

Popular courses 

  1. Computer Science & Information Technology
  2. Engineering
  3. Medicine
  4. Business Management
  5. Social Science
  6. Computer Science
  7. Life Science
  8. Liberal Arts
  9. Biotechnology
  10. Architecture

There’s a vast list of programs you can still choose to study in the US. There are student mentoring programs, free shuttle services and team sports that you will find easy to integrate into your campus life.

Some universities also have personalised health centres, career advisory services and accommodation officers.

The professors, too, are more than helpful when you need academic help. They are often available to speak with students after class, give expert advice and offload any worries about the course.

Fee, Scholarship, Cost of Living

A world of possibilities

Understanding the difference in cost of studying in the US can help you decide where you want to go. Public colleges charge between $35,000 and $45,000, while private colleges charge from $50,000 to $75,000 annually. However, most colleges don’t have a standardised government fee system as it depends on the college and the course selected.

 Cost of undergraduate degrees in the US

  • Public university: $25,000-$35,000 per year
  • Private college: $30,000-$45,000 per year

Sometimes even higher: $50,000-$55,000 per year 

  • Community colleges: $2,500-$3,000 per year

Community colleges usually provide award certificates and associate degrees. They do not offer a bachelor’s degree because community colleges offer two-year courses, whereas universities offer four-year undergraduate courses. However, you can use the associate’s degree to qualify for the first half of your bachelor’s degree and later apply for a master’s degree.

Cost of a postgraduate degree in the US

  • Public university: $20,000-$35,000 per year
  • Private college: $35,000-$50,000 per year

Scholarship to study in the US

When it concerns studying in the US, getting a scholarship can prove significantly helpful for international students. It’s crucial to know that scholarships are competitive and take time for approval. You will find it easier to apply for a scholarship with professional help from Expert Education.

Students with good grades and who are athletically inclined are likely to get scholarships. Additionally, scholarships are available for art, dance and music.

There are multiple funding opportunities that you can make use of, to name a few:

  • Fulbright Foreign Student Program
  • QS Undergraduate Scholarship
  • QS Leadership Scholarship
  • QS Leadership Scholarship for Excellence
  • Golden Key Graduate Scholar Award
  • IEFA Non-Government Scholarship

A way of life with growth and opportunity

The cost of living in the US can differ from location to location, and it’s vital to secure savings related to primary and daily needs. From emergencies to groceries, clothes, water, electricity, internet, books and study material, among other essentials, an international student must consider an approximate living cost of $10,000 to $12,000 per year in the US.

Although most colleges offer on-campus residence to international students, commonly called the ‘dorm room’ or dormitory. Students usually share a room with two to three other students with facilities like the internet, electricity, water, etc. The cost of campus accommodation ranges between $5000-$8000 per year.

Alternatives are non-campus residences, where the cost might be significantly higher. The usual charge ranges from $6,000 to $15,000 per year based on the location and apartment chosen.

When it comes to travelling, you can avail vehicle rental facilities, or public transport like cabs, trains, and buses. The cost of transportation can depend on where you are staying. However, to share an estimate, you would be spending approximately $30-$50 per month on a bus and train pass. For total transportation facilities, expect an average of $100-$300 per month depending on your budget, frequency and type of transport used.

Admission Process

Planning ahead of time and collecting all necessary information can help you succeed in getting admission to the university of your choice. American universities do not believe in a one-track academic focus. They want their students to go beyond the book, which is what they also expect from international students. It’s not just about what you’ll do once you’ve joined the university, but how you’ve performed academically and personally in the past few years.

Therefore, the applicant’s past academic record is checked over the last four years of their schooling, including extracurricular activities, leadership positions and personal characteristics.American colleges and universities include different types of applications. It depends upon the students’ preferences and which admission cycle they want to choose. Here are some of the application deadline processes that may differ between college and university. 

  • Early Decision – The early decision application deadline is about ten months before the commencement of a course. However, the deadline is usually set between the 1st and 15th of November. This timeframe helps improve the applicant’s chances of earning acceptance at some universities. You are required to halt all other applications once you get accepted at a specific college.
  • Early Action – The early action deadline allows you to send in your college application early. However, unlike the early decision deadlines, it is not binding. You may apply to multiple colleges under early action application. Thus, you can expect an early response after you apply at the chosen college. Early action deadlines are generally set between the 1st and 15th of November.
  • Common Application – The common application allows you to apply online to multiple colleges, more than 900 US universities, to be precise. The application process starts on 1st August with a deadline that ends in January, at least seven months before starting at the university. Sometimes, the deadline extends till March.
  • Regular Application – The regular application process for admission is based on the deadlines set by the universities. The applicant can apply to multiple institutions within the timeframe set by the universities, acceptance of which is notified between 1st January and 1st March.

There are more application deadlines other than the above that also depend on the course you have selected and whether you are studying at a college or university. For instance, the deadline applications for some colleges may include early action deadlines, rolling admission deadlines and so on. Similarly, for an undergraduate degree, some universities will typically offer either early admission or a regular admission process. You can get in touch with our team to know more.

Also, when choosing the right institute for you, consider the following aspects that might influence your decision.

  • Talk to the admissions representatives, college or university tour guides and faculty
  • Reach out to a few existing university students to understand their experience
  • Take a virtual campus tour, if possible
  • If possible, attend a class or two and familiarise yourself with the teaching style
  • Check the college activities and recent issues in the student newspaper

These are a few factors you can consider while selecting a university of your choice.

Another critical factor is that an international student must have student health insurance to gain admission to a US college or university. Depending on the institution and the health insurance package, you can expect to pay $30-$140 for health insurance per month. This package applies to students under 25 years of age.

Our team of experts can also help you decide while selecting an institute based on all these requirements and more.

Study & Beyond – Life in the US

A great place to call home

Prepare to experience a cross-section of the States where you’ll meet Americans and at least 20 other races. You’ll soon get used to the new way of living, developing a sense of individualism.

Americans, in general, are extremely friendly and helpful, which makes it easier for newcomers to settle in comfortably. 

Being the third-largest country globally, America is home to some of the most amazing heritage-rich sites like the Grand Canyon National Park, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, and more. You can take a solo trip to the world-class cities along the Eastern Seaboard, the West Coast, the Southwest and the Hawaiian Islands. There’s so much adventure from its rich history, fun and glamour that will forever remain with you.

Every holiday is a proper celebration in the US where traditions, grooming and home decorations define the seasons. These celebrations are the best way to get involved in your new community.

It’s a place you can call home while you nurture your growth towards a brighter career. Are you planning to apply for a student visa in the USA? Allow us to connect with you and get started with the US student visa application and process. We’ll assist you with all there is to do and know before stepping into the land of dreams.


A student (F and M) visa is issued to a new student up to 120 days before the start date of the course enrolled. The applicant cannot enter the United States on this student visa more than 30 days before the start date.

For a continuing student, the student (F and M) visas can be issued anytime as long as the student is enrolled at a SEVP-approved school or institution and in SEVIS. Continuing students are allowed to enter the United States at any time before the course begins.

SEVIS refers to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Universities that issue I-20 forms to international F and M students have to fill the student’s information into the SEVIS database. These details can be accessed by the US consulates worldwide. The student visa cannot be issued if this information is not entered into the database.

The F-1 visa allows an international student to enter the United States full-time at an accredited college, university, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institutions. On the other hand, an M-1 visa allows students in vocational or other non-academic programs, other than language training, to enter the United States.

  • You can come to the United States to study full time in a degree or certificate program.
  • You can transfer to a different school or switch academic programs after notifying the USCIS.
  • You can work part-time on-campus. 
  • Working off-campus may be allowed, depending on eligibility requirements and training.
  • You can travel within the United States or abroad until the completion of your studies.
  • You can bring your spouse and children to the United States on an F-2 visa.
  • You can enter the U.S. as a full-time non-academic or vocational student.
  • You can transfer from one school to another if required.
  • You are allowed to work part-time on-campus.
  • You may also be allowed to work legally off-campus but on an assignment related to your field of study.
  • You can travel within the United States or abroad until the completion of your studies.
  • You can apply for M-2 visas for dependents accompanying you to the United States.

You are required to submit the following documents:

  • Valid Passport for travel to the United States 
  • Nonimmigrant Visa ApplicationForm DS-160 confirmation page
  • Photo – to be uploaded while completing the online Form DS-160. Alternatively, a printed photo can be submitted as per the photo requirements mentioned. 
  • Application fee payment receipt, if payment is required before your interview.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Students
  • Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students
  • Form I-20 – Your school will send the Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database.

Additional documentation may be required concerning academic preparations. Our team of visa process counsellors will help you with all the necessary details.

If your student visa expires before completing your program or course, you may be allowed to renew your F-1 student visa. To get started with the renewal process, you can re-apply for the visa from your home country, another country, at a US embassy or consulate. Although, applying from your home country is always preferable. For more information, we can assist you with your visa renewal queries.

Your student visa allows you to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week and full-time during school breaks (40 hours per week). Only F-1 students who have completed one full academic year of their program get to work off-campus  through programs such as Optional Practical Training (OPT), Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension, and Curricular Practical Training (CPT). F‑1 students hailing from the parts of the world that are experiencing emergent circumstances can apply for Special Student Relief (SSR).

The top universities provide highly accredited professors, advanced technology and research facilities. International students planning to study in the US can look forward to the American campus lifestyle.

Study Abroad