Making preparations to study abroad entails planning. There are many aspects to cover, from your visa application to your stay, selecting a university or college, living expenses and so on. Therefore, it’s best to work backwards from university admission deadlines as you plan to apply for a student visa. Also, international students have to prepare for English eligibility tests as per the university policy abroad.
To put it simply, the visa application journey involves meeting multiple requirements to stay ahead of time and avoid that last-minute rush.
The country you select to study abroad will determine the specific documents required for a visa application. While exact requirements differ among several countries, a general list can help you stay prepared when the time comes to submit supporting documents.
Documents required for a student visa application
- Valid Passport – The validity policies of your passport will differ from one country to another. For instance, some countries prefer that your passport stay valid until your course ends. In comparison, some may require that your passport validity extends beyond your intended stay in that country. Either way, you need to ensure that your valid passport has two blank pages, at least for visa stamping. You may need to submit a copy of previous expired passports depending on that country’s specific visa requirements.
- Proof of studying at a recognised education institute – Whichever country you apply to for studying abroad, you must be able to prove that you are enrolled in a recognised school, college or university, or a state-operated technical institute. You can show relevant proof by producing confirmation of admission from your education institute through a letter of application, photo ID and fee receipt.
- Financial support and ability – To ensure that your stay abroad is free from financial stress and worries, you have to keep sufficient funds ready. At the same time, the country that you are applying to will require proof of funds that validate your stay, tuition, institute fees, and other prerequisites. Some countries have extensive guidelines based on government standards.
- English language fluency – If you plan to study in an English-speaking country, you should be able to communicate in English to express fluency in the language. Therefore, you must prove that you can interact verbally, write, and understand the English language easily. For this, you clear an English language test like IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, etc.
A few other standard requirements may include:
- Photos / Photo ID
- Acceptance letter
- Student loan approvals
- Academic qualifications
- Proof of international student health cover
There are many requirements that one needs to fulfil while applying for a visa to study abroad. We offer visa consultancy services to international students. Please look at some of the requirements we’ve mentioned for specific countries that we cater to for studying abroad.
The process of a visa application for international students
Once the university you applied to offers you a letter of acceptance, a visa application process begins. You can apply your visa application in the following two ways (whichever option is available):
- Online Visa Application: A visa application form for a specific country will be available online. You can create a student profile online and fill the necessary fields correctly.
- Offline Visa Application: If you are applying for a visa offline, you can download the form and fill in the details.
Once you fill in all the details, you have to pay the visa application fee and submit it with all the supporting documents.
Depending on the country and your nationality, completing visa processing can take a few days to several months. You’ll have to make sure that you leave enough time to get your visa arrangements done.
We suggest that you start your visa application process by applying 3-4 months in advance. If you seek financial aid, scholarships or education loans, consider adding a few more months as these applications take longer to process and complete. Contact our Expert Education team to help with your specific visa application requirements.