Partner Visa

Indian students who wish to study abroad but are apprehensive about leaving their spouse or partner behind can avail of a partner visa. The partner visa is a dependent visa that allows an individual to take their spouse or partner overseas where they will pursue their studies.

Different countries may have different requirements when applying for a partner visa.

Spouse Visa for the UK

You may have your partner or spouse accompany you while you study in the UK if you fulfil the following criteria:

  • You are a full-time student on a postgraduate level course that is for 9 months or longer.
  • You are a government-sponsored student for a study program that lasts longer than 6 months.
  • You are a doctorate extension scheme student.
  • Your partner should also show proof of sufficient funds to support their stay with you. They may have £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London. If you are studying outside of London, your partner should have £680 a month (for up to 9 months).

Common checklist of documents to submit when applying for a spouse visa to the UK:

  • Valid passport
  • Proof of relationship 
  • Proof of supporting financial requirement
  • Proof of English language efficiency
  • Adequate accommodation
  • Proof that the applicant has the right to live in their country of residence
  • TB Test certificate (if asked as a requirement)

Spouse Visa for Canada

Your partner or spouse can accompany you if you are a full-time student. They may have to be eligible for work or hold a study permit, or a visit visa as well. Your partner will be eligible for an open work permit and their stay will be valid for the same duration that your student visa holds.

Common checklist of documents to submit when applying for a spouse visa to Canada:

  1. Copy of civil marriage certificate
  2. Passport photographs
  3. Proof of legal name changes of you and your spouse
  4. Copy of birth certificate
  5. Copy of valid passport
  6. Copy of financial documents
  7. Original sponsorship letter
  8. Police clearance certificate (if applicable)
  9. Prior-marriage termination papers, if applicable
  10. Court, police, and prison records, if applicable
  11. Immigration violation records, if applicable
  12. Bank statement
  13. Address proof
  14. Interview preparation

Spouse Visa for the USA

If you are an Indian student holding an F1 visa then your partner has to apply for an F2 visa. This visa will allow your partner to stay with you in the United States for the same duration as your course. As an F1 visa holder, you must show proof of being able to support your partner’s stay in the US financially. Your partner is not eligible to work in the U.S. for the duration of their stay. However, they can study at IUPUI part-time.

Furthermore, a J1 exchange visitor can come to the US with their spouse. Their spouse or partner must apply for a J2 visa to stay in the US for the duration of the J1 visa holder’s course program. If your partner wishes to work in the US, they can only do so upon the approval of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Also, J2 dependents can enrol in IUPUI courses as part-time or full-time students.  

Common checklist of documents to submit when applying for a spouse visa to the US:

  • Passport & travel history
  • Background documentation
  • Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
  • Extensive evidence of the relationship including photos
  • Other proof of relationship
  • Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
  • Completed application & consulate fees
  • English language skills
  • If calling your child, they must be under the age of 18 at the time of application

Spouse Visa for Australia

An individual holding a student visa subclass 500 can include their spouse to accompany them as they pursue their studies in Australia. The main applicant should mention their spouse and details in the application while applying for visa subclass 500.

Common checklist of documents to submit when applying for a spouse visa to Australia:

  • Proof of identity
  • Passport photo
  • National identity card
  • Proof of name change, if any
  • Proof of relationship
  • Proof that the relationship is ongoing
  • Health certificate
  • Character certificate

If you wish to take your spouse on a partner visa along with you abroad, connect with us to know more.