Code of conduct & practice guides
What is the Code of Conduct?
The Code of Conduct for registered migration agents is set out in legislation to regulate the conduct of registered migration agents. It prescribes your obligations towards your clients.
Provision for a Code of Conduct for migration agents is set out in Section 314 of the Migration Act 1958 and is prescribed in Schedule 2, Regulation 8 of the Migration Agents Regulations 1998.
Code of Conduct for registered migration agents (419KB PDF)
What are my obligations under the Code?
Under the Code you have a range of obligations covering:
- your interactions with your clients
- your fees and charges, record keeping and financial management
- your responsibilities toward other agents
- any employees you may have
- the requirement that you respond if a complaint is made against you
Another obligation is to prominently display the Code in your office and client waiting area. You must also provide clients with a copy of it to keep if they ask for one.
Practice guides for agents
The OMARA provides practice guides to assist registered migration agents in meeting their obligations under the Code of Conduct.