Studying in the United States of America offers you a chance to build your career prospects on a global level. Several international students consider the US to be the best destination to pursue higher education due to excellence in academic quality. The universities in the US offer world-class education, making it the ultimate place for academics, which is why several Nepalese students choose to study here.

If you are looking for the top consultancy in Nepal for USA then our education consultants at Expert Education can help you. They offer the best education consultancy in Nepal for USA in terms of selecting the city, the university, the study program, and the type of visa required.

In the US, any course is quality monitored by various higher education accreditation bodies. This is why the country is known for having the world’s most effective university systems with academically-oriented programs. Various learning opportunities are available to Nepalese students at the undergraduate and graduate level, including research, field visits, internships, etc.

Consistent enhancement of technology in university campuses is carried out to provide the best teaching methodologies in classrooms, labs, etc. Students are also given the opportunity to work with their professors and department in research, training, and teaching.

Visa application for USA from Nepal

Before applying for a US visa, you should be accepted by the school, college or university where you’ve applied for admission. Once you do, you could apply for the following visas to study in the US.

There are three types of Visas depending on your objective to travel to the US for studying.

  1. Student Visa F M is for students who wish to apply for academic and vocational studies. You will need Visa category F if you wish to enter the US to study at a university or college, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or any other academic institution.If you are applying for a vocational or a recognized non-academic institution, you need to obtain the visa category M.
  2. Exchange Visitor Visa J is a nonimmigrant visa for exchange visitor programs in the US. The categories include internships, physician, trainee, teacher, summer work travel, student of a college or university, specialist, and more.
  3. Visitor Visa B is applied for visiting schools before or during the application process. In addition, this visa can also be applied for participating in non-credit or short recreational courses.This visa can fall into activities like for Business B-1, Tourism B-2, or a combination of both. For travel purposes not permitted on visitor visas, this visa may be issued for activities like study, employment, paid performances, arrival as a crew member, etc.

The application process involves filling the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Once you’ve completed filling the application form, you can print it for submitting during your interview at the US embassy. In addition to filling the online form, you must upload your photo based on the format requirements suggested on the site.

You may or may not be required to pay for the interview. If you clear the interview, you may be issued the visa up to 120 days in advance of the start date of the study program.

Choosing a university or course to study in the US

You are exposed to a rich field of choices from the education system in America. There is a wide range of schools, programs, and destinations that make coming to a decision of selection challenging. Seeking advice from the best education consultancy in Nepal from USA will prove to be beneficial for you. You can understand your chances of studying in a university suitable to your study goals. Our experts can run you through some of the best education institutes and courses preferred for you.

Some of the universities and courses you can look forward to, for studying in the US:

Universities in the US – short list

  • New York University
  • Michigan State University
  • Ohio State University
  • Boston University
  • National University
  • International University
  • University of Southern California
  • Pursue University
  • Northwood University
  • Strayer University

Popular courses that may interest you

  • Computer Science & Information Technology
  • Liberal Arts
  • Biotechnology
  • Business Management
  • Social Science
  • Computer Science
  • Engineering
  • Medicine
  • Life Science
  • Architecture

Admission Process

Understanding the grading system in the US

Just like American students, you will have to arrange for and submit your academic transcripts. This requirement is part of your application for admission to any university or college. If you’re wondering, academic transcripts are; they’re official copies that represent your academic work. In the U.S. the transcript includes your “grades” and “Grade Point Average” or GPA. The GPA is a measurement of your academic achievement. 

Most often, international students may find the grading system and GPA confusing with varying interpretation of the grades. A US university may interpret the GPAs of two students differently based on the schools they’ve studied. For instance, a student coming from a regular high school and a student who attended a renowned school with a challenging curriculum. Both their GPAs will be reviewed differently by the education institution in the US.

That said, you may also make sure to identify a US equivalent education institute of the level of education you attended in your home country. Pay close attention to the admission requirements of different universities. Finally, meet your education consultant to ensure that you are meeting all the requirements.

American colleges and universities include different types of applications during the admission process. Here are some of the application deadline processes that may differ between college and university. 

  • Early Decision – The early decision application timeline is about ten months before the commencement of a course. It is usually set between the 1st and 15th of November. Once you get accepted at a particular university or college, you will be expected to halt all other admission applications.
  • Early Action – The early action timeline allows you to submit your college application early. You may apply at multiple colleges as you can expect an early response after you apply at the chosen college. Early action timelines are set between the 1st and 15th of November.
  • Common Application – The common application allows you to apply to multiple colleges online. The application process starts on 1st August and ends in January, at least seven months before commencing at the university. At times, the deadline is stretched till March.
  • Regular Application – The regular application process is based on the timelines set by the universities. The applicant is allowed to apply to multiple institutions within the timeframe set by the universities, acceptance of which is provided between 1st January and 1st March.

Feel free to get in touch with our team to know more application timeliness suitable to you.

Fee, scholarship and other associated costs

Planning to pursue studies in the USA is a great decision. That is why we want to make sure you get to all know all there is to know. This more importantly involves the related costs from tuition fees to scholarships and living expenses.

Public colleges charge between $35,000 and $45,000, while private colleges charge from $50,000 to $75,000 annually. It is essential to note that most colleges don’t have a standardised government fee system. This is because their fee assessments depend on the college and the course selected.

Cost of undergraduate degrees in the US

  • Public university: $25,000-$35,000 per year
  • Private college: $30,000-$45,000 per year
    Sometimes even higher: $50,000-$55,000 per year
  • Community colleges: $2,500-$3,000 per year

Community colleges usually award certificates and associate degrees as they do not offer a bachelor’s degree. This is because community colleges allow you to avail two-year courses, whereas universities offer four-year undergraduate courses. However, you may use the associate’s degree to qualify for the first half of your bachelor’s degree and later go for a master’s degree.

Cost of a postgraduate degree in the US

  • Public university: $20,000-$35,000 per year
  • Private college: $35,000-$50,000 per year

Scholarship requirements

Studying in the US can prove highly expensive for some students. So, applying for a scholarship can prove significantly helpful for international students. Scholarships are competitive and take time for approval, so make sure to apply for a scholarship with professional help and guidance from Expert Education.

Students with above average grades and who are athletically inclined are likely to get an approval for a scholarship. Additionally, scholarships are available for art, dance and music.

There are multiple funding opportunities that you can make use of, to name a few:

  • Fulbright Foreign Student Program
  • Golden Key Graduate Scholar Award
  • IEFA Non-Government Scholarship
  • QS Undergraduate Scholarship
  • QS Leadership Scholarship for Excellence
  • QS Leadership Scholarship

Managing your expenses while living in the US

The cost of living in the US is going to vary from place to place. We can provide you with rough estimates of the expenses involved on a yearly basis. From emergencies to groceries, electricity, internet, books, clothes, water, and study material, among other essentials, costs can range from $10,000 to $12,000 per year.

Although most colleges offer on-campus residence to international students, commonly called the ‘dorm room’ or dormitory. Students usually share a room with two to three other students with facilities like the internet, electricity, water, etc. The cost of campus accommodation ranges between $5000-$8000 per year.

The cost might be significantly higher for non-campus residences, ranging from $6,000 to $15,000 per year based on the location and apartment you select.

Travel facilities are available too, from rental vehicles to public transport. The cost of transportation can depend on where you are staying. You might spend approximately $30-$50 per month on a bus and train pass. For total transportation facilities, expect an average of $100-$300 per month based on your budget, frequency and type of transport used.

Studying and living in the USA

It’s great that you’ve decided to study in the US. Your journey has just begun, and there’s so much more you need to know. Firstly, the city you choose to travel to is going to be different compared to the other states in America. This is where you might get overwhelmed for a short while until you learn to adjust. However, life gets interesting as you gain a wider perspective of things.

There are different traditions followed, while also welcoming your home country traditions. Being the third-largest country in the world, the USA has stunning heritage-rich sites like the Grand Canyon National Park, Times Square, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Statue of Liberty, and more. You can take a solo trip across the different cities along the Eastern Seaboard, the West Coast, the Southwest and the Hawaiian Islands. 

Need more guidance to understand your chances of studying in America? Seek expert advice from our top consultancy in Nepal for USA.

The top universities provide highly accredited professors, advanced technology and research facilities. International students planning to study in the US can look forward to the American campus lifestyle.

Study Abroad