You have put together most pieces required to complete your dream of studying abroad with one last fix remaining- the accommodation. If you feel that accommodation is something you can work on the spot and find a decent place without burning a hole in your pocket, then you may have to rethink it.
The best places with a not-so-expensive budget are hard to find but don’t worry, and Expert Education can help you find the best ones. Our study abroad accommodation service has helped many Indian students to find budget-friendly stays abroad.
How is private accommodation different from University ones?
Accommodation abroad is broadly divided into two categories- the private stay and university ones. Private stays are any accommodation you can find and stay outside the campus premises. The university-provided accommodations are generally within the campus and are provided by the University after paying a yearly sum.
Private and university-provided accommodation abroad for students has some key differences. Here is a list of how:
- Cost – Private accommodation may prove to be an affordable option than university-provided accommodation. Private accommodation providers may charge higher rents to cover their costs and make a profit. On the other hand, university-provided accommodation may be subsidised by the University, making it more affordable for students.
- Ownership – Private accommodation is typically owned by individuals or private companies, while the University owns university-provided accommodation.
- Amenities – The University stays outweigh the private ones considerably in this section. The University is right made for the best interest of the students, and they constantly work on improving the abroad student accommodation. So university-provided accommodation may come with more amenities, such as Wi-Fi, cleaning services, and communal spaces. On the contrary, private accommodation may not offer these services or might charge extra for every service provided.
- Location – Private accommodation may be located farther away from campus. Or there is a huge possibility that the private stays near your campus are more expensive. University-provided accommodation is made with the intention of providing comfort to the students and is usually located closer to campus.
- Availability – Most students want to make the best of the perks at a low cost. So university-provided accommodation is usually in high demand and may be limited. But private accommodation is more readily available, but students have to put in a lot of effort to find the right one. This is when our study abroad accommodation service comes in handy. We will help you find the best stays in the available options.
Now that you have a rough idea of the accommodation options let’s look into each type and understand the pros and cons to clear up the confusion.
Private accommodation abroad for students has its advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons:
- More flexibility – Private accommodation gives students more options in terms of location, size, and amenities. This can be helpful if the student is looking for a specific type of accommodation. It also gives the freedom to choose the area which is best for students wanting to live in a particular area.
- Independence – Private accommodation offers greater privacy and autonomy compared to university-provided accommodation. Students do not have to adhere to the rules and regulations of the University when out of campus.
- Availability – Private accommodation is usually more readily available. The University provided stay can be in high demand and limited in availability.
- Potential cost savings – Depending on the location and type of accommodation, private housing can be cheaper. This depends on the location chosen, and the facilities opted for. The University stays don’t generally have the option to choose particular facilities and services, making you obliged to choose the only option available. On the contrary, you have the liberty to choose and pay only for the services opted for. The private stay becomes a cheaper option if the student shares the accommodation with other students.
- Risk of scams – Students need to be cautious when looking for private accommodation abroad. There is a risk of falling victim to scams or fraudulent landlords. Do thorough research before choosing the stay finally.
- Lack of support – Private accommodation providers may not offer the same level of support and assistance as university-provided accommodation. This can be a disadvantage for students who are new to the area.
- Responsibility for maintenance – Private accommodation requires the student to take on more responsibility for maintaining the property. This can be time-consuming and stressful.
- Hidden costs – Private accommodation may come with hidden costs, such as utilities, internet, and maintenance fees, which can increase the overall cost of living.
Here are some of the pros and cons of University provided accommodation:
- Support and community – University-provided accommodation offers students a built-in support network. This includes resident assistants and community events, which can be helpful for students who are new to the area.
- Convenience – University-provided accommodation is usually located close to the campus and offers easy access to university resources. This makes it more convenient for students.
- Safety and Security – University-provided accommodation is generally considered to be safer and more secure than private accommodation. It is often equipped with security features such as keycard access and 24-hour security.
- Ready to move – University-provided accommodation is often fully furnished and equipped with basic amenities such as internet and utilities. This can be a cost-effective solution for students who do not want to purchase their own furniture or pay for utilities separately.
- Limited availability – University-provided accommodation is generally in high demand and may be limited in availability. This makes it difficult for some students to secure housing.
- Rules and regulations – University-provided accommodation is subject to the rules and regulations of the University. This can restrict the student’s freedom and independence.
- Higher costs – University-provided accommodation can be more expensive than private accommodation. The University generally provides a set of facilities, and there is no room for options.
- Lack of flexibility – University-provided accommodation may offer limited options of location and amenities. This can be a disadvantage for students who have specific housing needs or preferences.
A quick checklist of the facilities you should consider for a suitable accommodation
You need to make sure that you follow a set of helpful guidelines while finding a suitable accommodation abroad. Here are some helpful tips:
- Consider all the costs involved, even the hidden ones, from utilities to rent, deposit amount and other miscellaneous costs.
- It would be better if your stay is closer to the university where you will be studying. This will help you save on transportation costs that collectively may add up to be expensive even if you simply take the bus.
- Carefully read the lease agreement of the moving in and out dates. Take note of the fee for breakage of any property items. Also, read the sublease terms in case you need to relocate and find another accommodation.
- If you will be staying with roommates, then if possible, choose them wisely. Sometimes, a little adjustment goes a long way, even though that goes both ways.
How can consultants help with accommodation abroad?
Consultants can provide information and advice on the different types of accommodation available in the area. They offer guidance on the best neighbourhoods, rental prices, and local rental regulations. Expert Education has an efficient study abroad accommodation service equipped with experienced professionals.
Consultants also help students with the application process for university-provided accommodation, including guiding required documents, deadlines, and the application process itself. They assist with the search for private accommodation, providing lists of available rental properties, negotiating lease terms and conditions, and arranging for property viewings.
They can also assist with legal requirements for visa regulations, rental contracts, and deposit requirements. They address any issues or concerns that may arise with their accommodation.
Ultimately, choosing between private and university-provided accommodation will depend on the student’s needs, preferences, and budget. You can select the perfect accommodation with minimum struggle with the right guidance. Contact Expert Education for assistance with all the admission processes, including accommodation for abroad studies.