Hi, How Can We Help You?

Health Insurance (OSHC & OVHC)

Making wellbeing a priority

Studying in Australia as an international student requires covering medical and hospital expenses apart from the university fees, accommodation, etc. Your health is as much a priority as your academic goals. However, Medicare is not provided for international students. Instead, a special health policy in Australia called OSHC or Overseas Student Health Cover has been set up for international applicants.

OSHC is an international student health cover policy that backs you up for the medical and hospital costs. The applicant must ensure to purchase this health policy to be deemed eligible for having medical expenses covered while in Australia.

The international student applicant and their dependent, if any, have to acquire a health policy that covers the academic course duration. 

Students who have joined courses of three months or less can acquire a tourist visa and a private international student insurance program that covers this duration.

Best OSHC providers in Australia

Best OSHC providers in Australia

OSHC is required for both the applicant and the dependent. So, a single health policy can cover a single applicant, while a dependent couple or a few family members will need a ‘couple insurance’ or ‘family health cover’. The policy must be taken from an approved health insurance provider.

OSHC has a set of minimum requirements during its application. Expert Education has a team to help and guide you with an international student health cover best suited to your requirements. 

Choosing the right policy with relevant benefits and the best price is vital to our clients. Expert Education is partnered with the most popular health insurance providers such as BUPA, Medibank, AHM, NIB and Allianz Care Australia, giving you the flexibility to take the health cover of your choice at a highly competitive price.

Also, OSHC does not pay for general treatments such as optical, dental, or physiotherapy. Covering these supporting treatments may entail acquiring OSHC Extras. An OSHC provider or an Australian private health insurer can provide you with this policy. 

It is crucial to note that OSHC also covers COVID-19 related illnesses. Primarily, these illnesses are categorised under lung and chest, kidney and bladder, and dialysis for chronic kidney failure.

Please speak to our consultants today to get the right health insurance policy.

Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC)

International applicants planning to travel to or work in Australia are expected to apply for the Overseas Visitor Health Cover or OVHC. Several visa categories fall under this policy, namely:

  • Visitor Visas: Subclasses 300, 580, 590, 600, 601
  • Bridging Visas
  • Working Visas: Subclasses 482, 485, 400,401, 476, 489, etc.
  • Working Holiday Visas: Subclasses 417 & 462

If you are a recent international graduate and are applying for your Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), you will need to switch from OSHC to OVHC to meet the health requirements.The different types of OVHC policies differ in costs, eligibility and benefits. Most of these policies will cover medically-required hospital admissions and a portion of the doctor’s fees.

Unlike the OSHC, the OVHC enables you to purchase a general treatment cover. This cover pays benefits for the services of health care providers in private practice such as dentists, optometrists and physiotherapists. The insurance can cover a part of these costs, while you can cover the rest.

Most OVHC policies cover limited pharmaceutical expenses. Therefore, it is crucial to pick the right policy that covers your requirements. There are various health policies that you can choose depending on the nature of your visa application.

You can also note that OSHC policies have a pre-purchase scheme covering your entire academic duration and stay. On the other hand, the OVHC policy cost can be paid on a monthly basis.

Do you want to find the best health policy for you?

Connect with our team today.

Our Insurance Partners