Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa 491 is the visa that enables skilled workers to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia. It has a validity of five years. After three years of obtaining this visa, you can also apply for permanent residency in Australia by meeting specific criteria listed out by the Department of Home Affairs. You must be invited to apply for this visa.
What you get with the visa subclass 491
This visa is offered in two main categories:
- Main Applicant
The applicant can stay and work in a designated region of Australia for five years through this visa. They are permitted to travel in and out of Australia as many times as they desire throughout the visa period. On qualifying the income and skills criteria for the first three years of receiving the visa, the applicant can also apply for permanent residence in Australia.
- Subsequent Entrant
The subsequent entrant visa of 491 visas, as the name suggests, is the visa for the people who are willing to accompany the applicant of 491 visas to Australia. The visa is provided for candidates who fall under a ‘member of a family unit’ and is valid until the main applicants’ 491 visa lasts. 491 family-sponsored visa requirements include meeting health and character requirements and being a part of the applicant’s family unit.
Eligibility to obtain the visa subclass 491
Following is a list of eligibility criteria to obtain Skilled Work Regional visa 491
- You must be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency. Alternatively, you can indicate that you will be sponsored by an eligible relative.
- The age bar for application of this visa is 45 years during the time of application.
- The applicant must have a suitable skills assessment issued not earlier than three years at the time of application.
- The occupation you wish to enrol in Australia should be present in the Skilled Occupation List issued by the Australian Government.
- The applicant must have a competent level of English. This English test is exempt for residents of the United Kingdom, USA, Canada, and New Zealand.
- The subclass 491 is a points-tested visa. Therefore, when you submit your EOI (Expression of Interest) in the SkillSelect portal, you will be given an indicative points score based on the information you provide. If a score of 65 points is not obtained, you will not be invited to apply for this visa. If you are not invited to apply for the visa, your invitation will state the number of points that you must score when your application is assessed for granting the visa. This score may be higher than 65 points, depending on your claims in the EOI.
- The main applicant and family members aged 16 years and above who have also applied must meet the character requirement for acquiring this visa or Australian citizenship. Family members who are not accompanying the main applicant to Australia must also meet the character requirement.
What if you want to apply for a more extended stay?
Skilled Work Regional Provisional visa Subclass 491 lets you stay in Australia with no travel restrictions for five years. If you wish to extend that period, you can apply for a permanent residence visa three years after receiving this 491 visa.